Ask a group of adults “What was your favorite ice pop when you were a child?” and the most popular reply is usually a resounding…. “a rocket pop!”. Just the thought brings a broad smile to the face of most adults as they reflect back to those glorious, hot summer days of childhood.
The following Tovolo Rocket Pop Moulds Review looks to see whether this budget friendly product is fab or a flop.
Ease of Use
What can it do:
Simple, yet cost-effective ice lolly/pop mould for making classic rocket-shaped fun iced dessert treats that can be enjoyed throughout the year by all the family.
Why buy it?
Good quality, well-designed product that doesn’t tip over easily in the freezer, allowing ice lollies to be removed individually and comes with re-usable handles/drip guards to help prevent sticky hands and stained clothes. Save considerable money by making homemade ice lollies that are comparable to commercial alternatives.
What are the dimensions:
7.5″x 5″ x 7.5″ (19 x 12.7 x 19 cm) inches ; 14.4 ounces (408 g).
Custom base with a set of 6 rocket shaped moulds with built-in sticks and drip guards.
- Simple to use – requiring just a standard household freezer. Freezing time is 4+hrs depending on the ingredients used.
- Durable, sturdy, BPA-free construction.
- Dishwasher friendly.
- Classic ice lolly design loved by generations of children. Great fun for children’s parties.
- Makes 6 individual ice lollies that can be removed and re-filled one at a time.
- Good-sized lollies for all the family.
- Ideal for making custom ice lollies. You can use a variety of ingredients, juices, flavors and smoothie’s. Especially economical if using fruit that would otherwise go to waste or spoil.
- Children love to be involved in the making process e.g. rainbow pops, and the designs are limited only by one’s imagination.
- You control the ingredients, meaning that the sugar levels, amount of colorings or additives can be regulated to your preference providing an healthier option. Very useful for anyone who sufferers from food allergies e.g. become hyperactive due to high levels or sugar or certain food colorings etc.
- Environmentally friendly as each ice lolly/pop can be made without the need for any wrappers or packaging.
- If the ice lolly is knocked over before being frozen there can be some leakage from the snap-on tops of the moulds.
- If you have a small freezing unit the height of the ice lollies may need to be considered. However, once frozen, they can be stored on their side.
- Mixed results when used as an ice-cream mould.
- Some people have reported that the lollies are on the large size for very small children.
- Although the long stick helps keeps the ice lolly secure, it may make eating the last part of the lolly/popsicle a little tricky for some people and young children.
- The drip guard’s effectiveness is determined by the eating angle. It functions adequately when upright but is not effective if you choose to eat the lolly at an angle.
Tips and Advice
- Different amounts/concentrations/combinations of ingredient will affect the consistency and freezing nature of the final product. Non-calorie/sugar free/artificial sweetened ingredients can make removing the ice lollies much more difficult. If you are diabetic or concerned about sugar levels, some people have reported success using sugar alternatives, for example, by using Slendal. However, if you experience a problem removing the frozen ice lolly from the mould, simply run the outside of the mould under warm/hot water or sit the mould in a bowl of warm water for around 10 seconds.
- Remember that freezing decreases the perceived sweetness of the ingredients. Therefore, one needs to experiment a little so as to be able to take into account the difference in sweetness between the unfrozen and frozen ingredients.
- If you need to make a batch of ice lollies, consider buying a second kit or using traditional wooden popsicle sticks in the molds.
- Various ingredients can be used, for example, pureed fruit, peach, mango, honey, jello, banana, orange, pineapple, yoghurt, cranberry juice, seedless watermelon, strawberries, melted ice cream and even alcoholic versions for the adults. In fact, it’s a great way to make children to eat fruit – even those who wouldn’t each chunks or pieces of fruit- and get their fiber, minerals and vitamins in a fun way. A simple method is to use a hand blender with some fresh or frozen fruit, a splash of fruit juice with a tablespoon of honey. Yummy!
- The interesting shape of the mould could possibly lend itself to other hobbies, such as making homemade soap. However, if you intend to you them for ice lollies afterwards you must make sure never to use any toxic substance(s) and always wash the moulds thoroughly.
- A cool ice lolly can provide soothing relief for a sore throat.
A straightforward but effective ice lolly/popsicle mould that is manufactured well enough to give many years of fun, tasty iced treats.
Tovolo 80-8001 Rocket Mould Price Guide
List Price: $12.80 (£10.99)
Internet Price Range: US $11.5 -$23.5
CURRENT CHEAPEST DEALS
If you want to buy the Tovolo 80-8001 Rocket Mould safely and with peace of mind, you can get it cheapest currently on Amazon through the following links: